Whether it’s spilt coffee, a pet accident or your toddler’s latest masterpiece, it seems no matter how hard we try, our carpets are constantly being decorated by stains.
Yellow stains, just like other colourful spillages, can be unsightly and hard to remove. However, with the right experience and know-how, you’ll find it much easier to get yellow stains out of your carpet…
First things first, before you can tackle any sort of stain, you need to have your kit prepped and ready to go. There are a number of things to have in your store cupboard in case of a carpet emergency…
- Dish soap – Most households will have this in abundance, perfect for mixing with warm water for a quick, easy carpet cleaning saviour
- Cotton cloths – These are a staple for a variety of household cleaning tasks, including tackling stubborn stains
- Scrubbing brush – For those tougher stains, when using a cloth simply won’t cut it, a scrubbing brush can prove extremely useful
- Spray bottle – An empty spray bottle can come in handy for pre-making solutions, ready to go anytime you are in need
- Ammonia – A longstanding carpet cleaning staple, ammonia can be used to clean almost every room in your house
Getting started ASAP
When it comes to stain removal, time is unfortunately not on your side. As soon as you spot a pesky yellow stain, it’s time to get to work.
For non-wool carpets, mix 1 tablespoon of ammonia with 1 cup of water in a clean spray bottle. Be sure to use rubber gloves and avoid contact with skin. Then, simply spray the solution directly onto the stain and work it in with your fingers or a clean dry cotton cloth. If you’re working on a wool carpet, follow the same method using 1 tablespoon of dish soap with 1 cup of water.
Once your solution has been worked in, take your scrubbing brush and gently work in circle motions. Then, use a dry cotton cloth and dab the area, pressing firmly to absorb all remaining liquid. Once the area has dried completely, the stain should be gone.
Hire a professional
If you’ve tried all you can and the yellowing remains, it may be time to call in a professional. The carpet cleaning team at Clean & Dry Sheffield can transform your old, yellowing carpet, making it cleaner, brighter and healthier in no time